Interested in getting involved?
Every year we have a number of open call opportunities including Ones to Watch; our annual exhibition for emerging artists and makers, and our Christmas Market. These will be listed on Curatorspace.
Ones to Watch is now open for submissions: deadline 31st January – read below.
We are also looking for artists to design new signage for outside the Old Woollen in our new Weavers Yard: details below.
Artists and makers interested in exhibiting in our Gallery and Gallery Shop should see our Submission Guidelines page.
Any available vacancies will also be listed here.
Ones to Watch; our annual exhibition for creative students and 2020 graduates currently studying in or from Yorkshire is back!
Please submit your work to be considered for Sunny Bank Mills annual Ones To Watch exhibition!
This will be the 8th Ones to Watch exhibition. In the last 7 years over 250 Yorkshire based emerging artists have had the opportunity to exhibit in a professional setting. Many have sold work and continue to be stocked in the Gallery or featured in future exhibitions.
We are looking for artists, makers, designers and creatives working in all media; painting, sculpture, jewellery, ceramics, film, sound, text, glass, metal, performance, wood, furniture, and more…
The exhibition takes place over 2 months 13th March to 9th May. Always free to enter.
This year we have also invited external judges Dr Catriona McAra, University Curator at Leeds Arts University, Jane Bhoyroo, producer for Yorkshire Sculpture International, and Hannah Obee, Director of Collections, Programming and Learning at Harewood House to help with the selection.
What’s in it for me ?
- The opportunity to exhibit in a professional, established independent gallery with extensive social media + website coverage and visitor numbers. Last year we were featured in The Times as one of the few galleries to have a live exhibition supporting graduate artists when many degree shows were virtual or cancelled.
- Professional photographs of the exhibition and your work.
- The opportunity to meet and network with other artists from across the region.
- Support on how to present, price and sell your work commercially.
- Judges Prize and People’s Choice Prize (voted for by visitors to the gallery) will receive money.
- Winners and runners up take part in the Ones to Watch artist residencies with free studio space for a month. (5 residencies last year)
To be eligible for this opportunity you must be either:
- a current student on a creative degree in Yorkshire
- a 2020 graduate from a creative degree in Yorkshire (including postgrad)
- a current student/or 2020 graduate from a creative degree outside of Yorkshire, if you were originally born, from or reside in Yorkshire.
The submission deadline is 31st Jan 2021.
Old Woollen Hoardings: we need some signs!
The Old Woollen is iconic. The oldest building on our site and slap bang (almost) in the centre; it is at the heart of our plans for the future. The event space is a space for performance, theatre, music, comedy, spoken word, opera, art, workshops, and culture. It is where we hold our Art Markets, collaborate with the cultural and local community, and celebrate our history with our future.
It has just had a makeover which includes a brand-new shiny floor. We are about to build a bar (using old furniture from the Mill, naturally!) and it adjoins the new Weavers Yard, all 65,000 square feet of it!
The new entrance to the event space will be through Weavers Yard and we want some new hoardings to direct and engage people towards the space (and shout about it!)
If you are a graphic designer, illustrator, street artist or artist inspired by our spaces this may be for you!
Interested? Make out an application!
We will then shortlist 3 candidates. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to pitch their formal ideas to us (hopefully in person – covid permitting!). Each shortlisted artist will be paid £100 for their time.
Old Woollen Hoarding Brief
To provide colourful & engaging directional signage on temporary hoarding adjacent to the entrance to a multiuse cultural venue.
· To help visitors navigate to the Old Woollen Entrance.
· To provide a backdrop to the entrance and terrace outside the Old Woollen.
· Dimensions – the hoarding is 2700mm high, the section near the door is 3600mm, the section facing the door is 3700mm and the section by the steps is 4700. (see images)
· Text – Font Alternative Gothic NO 2BT (only caps) for Header, and Agenda Light for Body
· It should incorporate a space to mount posters advertising future events etc.
· The signage will be attached to ply hoarding with a life span of up to 5 years
· It should meet any relevant health and safety regulations
For more info on fonts/text: See Sunny Bank Mills brand guidelines here
Colour choices are up to the artist!
£1500 for design, materials and installation.
(£100 for each shortlisted artist for their proposal/presentation time)
Application Deadline: 31th January 2021
Shortlist Announced by: 5th February 2021
Interview/ Presentation: Week commencing 22nd February 2021
Project Completion/Installation: 30th April 2021
If you wish to come and look around the outside areas please do. If you have some questions then please get in touch!
The deadline is 31st January 2021