Archive Discoveries – Dyers

September 4th, 2015

Back To Blog

Turning the pages of one of the books discovered in the old Combing Shed new information has been found.  Andrew and Richard from the Society of Dyers and Colourists kindly came to the Archive recently to help investigations into the history of dyeing at Sunny Bank Mills. We were able to establish that Sunny Bank Mills was part of the cross over from natural to synthetic dyes in the late 1800’s. This image of a dye book page from 1890 contains logwood (a natural dye) and alizarine blue (a synthetic dye) recorded on the same page.  Come along to the Heritage Open Days 11th – 13th September between 10-4pm to find out more.

Back To Blog Next (Warping begins in the Archive) Prev (David Brown Celebration Day)

Tags

Arts & Culture General Sunny Bank Mills Archive